Object: The Red Shed Boatyard

Date: 19th century

Description : The boatyard was started by three brothers, James, John and Thomas Fyfe around 1856.  It was situated on the shore side of Ardbeg Road just opposite the large red sandstone house at the end of the Skeoch Wood, though none of these houses were there then.  They built fishing smacks and skiffs as well as rowing and small sailing boats.  This yard was in use until about 1879 when Ardbeg Road was widened and the land was needed for this as well as the extension of the seafront.  The yard moved to Ardmaleish and carried on there before moving to Fairlie and went on to design and build many famous boats. (Rothesay Buildings) (P03-2160, B11.10)