Object: Photo Archive
Date: 20th century
Description : Port Bannatyne Pier
The pier was built for Duncan Hoyle of Kames and opened on the 6 March 1857. It was considered as home port to the Williamson family’s Turkish fleet of Clyde steamer, Sultan, Sultana and Viceroy until the fleet was sold in 1891. The pier was used until it closed on the 2 September 1939 when it was taken over by the Admiralty during WWII being used by support vessels used in midget submarine training as well as various tugs. It was never reopened, slowly rotting away over the years. (P07-0042.08, RC V2, Pt2, p54)

