Object: Opening of New Bandstand

Date: 20th century

Description : The Town Council decided early in 1911 that the old Russell Bandstand sited on the Esplanade should be replaced and an invitation for tenders for a new bandstand was issued.  Fifteen tenders were received and these were discussed at a Council meeting in February 1911.  It was decided to go ahead with the erection of a new bandstand even though the estimates were over budget but that the town would have an innovative new structure lit by electric lighting.  The idea of moving the old bandstand to the Meadows or to opposite 17 Battery Place was proposed but it was felt that neither of these suggestions would be feasible and it would be disassembled and stored in the county yard until a decision could be made.  The new bandstand was opened by John Reid of Ardencraig on Monday 5 June 1911 at 2pm with both guests and members of the public paying an entry charge of 1s for the front seats and 6d for second seats. There was seated accommodation for up to 1000 people in front of the stage.  The remains of the bandstand can still be seen as the building was incorporated into the new Winter Gardens opened in 1924 and the stained glass which was behind the stage can be seen from the Esplanade in the windows of what used to be the restaurant and the outline of the bandstand can still be seen today.   (P03-0096, A1.081) (Buildings)