Object: Mount Stuart bus

Date: 20th century

Description : This bus with the registration number of SJ30 arrived in the island in 1909 and was a Halley, built in Yoker and painted dark green.  It was run by McKirdy & McMillan and the inaugural run was made to Mount Stuart carrying local businessmen including James McMillan, the proprietor of the company who served as provost from  1915 to 1921.  Due to the popularity of the motorized buses the horse drawn buses were gradually withdrawn from service with the last horses being sold in the 1930s. (P03-3205, B21.033) (Transport)