Object:View from Chapelhill House

Date: 19th century

Description : This photograph was taken in 1872 and shows the coffer dam built to enable the draining of the land to reclaim the area to be used for the new Esplanade.  The money was raised mostly from donations including generous amounts from George Stevenson, of Glen Caladh, (£500), the Marquis of Bute (£700) and public subscription of £700. The new Esplanade was opened in 1872 with a new bandstand added in 1873 provided by Mr Thomas Russell one of the directors of the Saracen iron foundry in Glasgow, which did the castings for the bandstand. (P03-1984, A10.194) (Rothesay Streets)