Bathing Station
The bathing station on Argyle Street opposite the Skeoch Wood was opened in 1892 with gents and ladies bathing areas separated by a high wall. Mixed bathing was introduced in the 1930s when the entrance building, which can still be seen today, was built. This photo shows the crowd at a swimming completion being held in the 1930s. After the opening of the heated pool in the old Aquarium building in Battery Place in 1938 which proved more attractive to bathers and numbers at the outdoor bathing station. It was closed during the Second World War as the area was used as a canteen, it never opened again though various plans have been put forward over the years. (Rothesay), (P15-0015, B12-111)
