Object: Photo Archive
Date: 19th century
Description : St Blane’s Chapel photographed before the restoration work undertaken by the 3rd Marquess of Bute (P03-3573, B29.022)
Object: Photo Archive
Date: 20th century
Description : Bridgend United Free Church built in 1908 to replace the building demolished earlier. (P03-2587, B15.019)
Object: Photo Archive
Date: 19th century
Description : Bridgend Secession Church, Bridgend Street.
Built in 1836 and then becoming the United Presbyterian Church in 1850 and the United Free Church in 1900. It was demolished in 1908. (P03-2585, B15.018)
Object: Photo Archive
Date: 19th century
Description : View over Rothesay from Bush Farm (P15-0053, B29.077)
Object: Opening of New Bandstand
Date: 20th century
Description : The Town Council decided early in 1911 that the old Russell Bandstand sited on the Esplanade should be replaced and an invitation for tenders for a new bandstand was issued. Fifteen tenders were received and these were discussed at a Council meeting in February 1911. It was decided to go ahead with the erection of a new bandstand even though the estimates were over budget but that the town would have an innovative new structure lit by electric lighting. The idea of moving the old bandstand to the Meadows or to opposite 17 Battery Place was proposed but it was felt that neither of these suggestions would be feasible and it would be disassembled and stored in the county yard until a decision could be made. The new bandstand was opened by John Reid of Ardencraig on Monday 5 June 1911 at 2pm with both guests and members of the public paying an entry charge of 1s for the front seats and 6d for second seats. There was seated accommodation for up to 1000 people in front of the stage. The remains of the bandstand can still be seen as the building was incorporated into the new Winter Gardens opened in 1924 and the stained glass which was behind the stage can be seen from the Esplanade in the windows of what used to be the restaurant and the outline of the bandstand can still be seen today. (P03-0096, A1.081) (Buildings)
Object: Sandcastle Competition Ettrick Bay
Date: 20th century
Description : The Bute Tramway Company were always looking for ways to attract visitors to Ettrick Bay and during the summer months sandcastle building competitions were held regularly. There were also wildflower competitions, donkey derbies and regular sports days where there were married ladies races, married men races, three legged races and babies’ races among others with the results being published in the Buteman. (P03-2837, B17.055) (Ettrick Bay)
Object: Wallpaper at Woodend House (Kean’s Cottage)
Date: 19th century
Description : This trompe l’oeil wallpaper decorated the drawing room of Woodend House for many years. The house known locally as Kean’s Cottage on the shore of Loch Fad was built for Edmund Kean (1787-1833), a renowned actor. After a visit in 1821 he fell in love with the island, as a refuge from his turbulent life on the stage, and leased land from the Marquis of Bute to build a comfortable and luxurious home with rich decorations and furnishings including this wallpaper. (P03-3570, B29.019) (Buildings)
Object: Bute Curling Team
Date: 20th century
Description : This photograph shows the Bute Curling team on the 28 March 1934 at Crossmyloof Ice Rink in Glasgow. This was the first staging of the County Cup competed for by rinks from Arran, Bute and Cumbrae. When the competition started it was played over several rounds with the teams entering first and second teams. The cup was presented by Major and Mrs Margaret MacRae of Feorlinn and was displayed in Major Hick’s pharmacy shop window prior to the event. The competition for the County Cup continues with the latest taking place recently. (P15-0005.01, B30.037) (Sport)
Object: Muir’s Delivery van in Argyle Street
Date: 20th century
Description : Muir’s Bakery was founded in 1878 and traded for many years from the bakehouse behind the shop in High Street. They had several other branches including ones in Argyle Street, Port Bannatyne and Kilchattan Bay. Horse drawn delivery vehicles were used until the 1930s when they were replaced by motorized vans. The delivery is being made to the branch at 17 Argyle Street, the site today of the vet’s surgery. (P03-3192.01, B21.020) (Transport)
Object: Soor Dook Cart
Date: 20th century
Description : John Dickie, Cranslagvourity Farm (P03-3178, B21.020) (Transport)