Warning: include_once(/home/sites/7b/5/5ec7011613/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache.old/wp-cache-phase1.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/sites/7b/5/5ec7011613/public_html/wp-content/advanced-cache.php on line 22

Warning: include_once(): Failed opening '/home/sites/7b/5/5ec7011613/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache.old/wp-cache-phase1.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear') in /home/sites/7b/5/5ec7011613/public_html/wp-content/advanced-cache.php on line 22

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sites/7b/5/5ec7011613/public_html/wp-content/advanced-cache.php:22) in /home/sites/7b/5/5ec7011613/public_html/wp-includes/feed-rss2.php on line 8
Ardbeg - Craigmore - Ascog | Bute Museum & Natural History Society https://www.butemuseum.org.uk UNDERSTANDING THE ARCHAEOLOGY, HISTORY, FLORA, FAUNA AND GEOLOGY OF BUTE – AND BEYOND. Fri, 09 Oct 2020 11:25:30 +0000 en-GB hourly 1 https://wordpress.org/?v=6.6.7 https://www.butemuseum.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/cropped-logo-32x32.jpg Ardbeg - Craigmore - Ascog | Bute Museum & Natural History Society https://www.butemuseum.org.uk 32 32 Kerrycroy https://www.butemuseum.org.uk/project/kerrycroy/ Fri, 09 Oct 2020 11:25:26 +0000 https://www.butemuseum.org.uk/?post_type=project&p=4802

Object:Kerrycroy

Date: 19th century

Description : The original cottages at Kerrycroy were built 1805/06 to house estate workers with the English Arts and Crafts houses added in the 1880s to create a model village including green and maypole to make Gwendolen, the English wife of the 3rd  Marquess feel at home.  It had its own library, school, inn and post office (closed in 1907).  A ferry crossing ran from the quay to Largs before the later more regular ferry crossings. (P03-1908, A10.118) (Ardbeg, Craigmore, Ascog, Kerrycroy)

 

]]>
Ascog Hall Fountain https://www.butemuseum.org.uk/project/ascog-hall-fountain/ Tue, 06 Oct 2020 16:20:59 +0000 https://www.butemuseum.org.uk/?post_type=project&p=4750

Object: Ascog Hall Fountain

Date: 19th century

Description : Ascog Hall was built in 1844 by the Rev. James Monteith before being acquired in 1856 by Robertson Buchanan Stewart.  His son Alexander Bannatyne Stewart inherited it on his father’s death and spent some of his inheritance employing  Edward La Trobe Bateman to landscape the garden and design the fernery.  This handsome fountain was installed at this time but has since disappeared.  One mystery is that the Museum has an old photo of a yard at the corner of High Street and Russell Street, which looks like a wheelwrights, and standing in the corner of the yard is this fountain, whether before it was installed or after it was removed is unknown. (Ardbeg, Craigmore, Ascog), (P03-2956, B18.19)

]]>